"SHADOXHURST, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourne, lower division of Scray lathe, county Kent, 4.; miles S.W. of Ashford, its post town. It is a small secluded village, and is wholly agricultural. The parish is watered by a feeder of the Beult, and is traversed by the line of the South-Eastern railway. The land is low and flat, abounding in coppice woos. The remainder is divided between arable and pasture, with about 20 acres of hop-grounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £109. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, has a tower containing one bell. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a parochial school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]