"SHEERNESS, a parochial chapelry, market town, seaport, and naval arsenal of the second rank, having separate jurisdiction, but locally in the parish of Minster in Sheppey and liberty of the Isle of Sheppey, upper division of the lathe of Scray, county Kent, 17 miles N.E. of Maidstone, and 46 S.E. of London, or 514 by the Sheerness branch of the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. It has also steamboat communication with London, Chatham, and other places, by means of the Medway Company's steamers. It is situated on the N.W. point of the Isle of Sheppey, at the conflux of the Medway, or West Swale, with the Thames, and nearly opposite the Nore light." .... More "
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]