"SHELDWICH, a parish in the hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 3 miles S.W. of Faversham, its post town and nearest railway station, and 50 from London. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Ashford and Charing to Faversham. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The great tithes have been commuted for a lent-charge of £530, with 2 acres of glebe, and the vicarial for one of £209, with 1 acre of land. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £109, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure with a private chapel, and a tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains a brass of Joan Mareys in a shroud, bearing date 1431, also several monuments. The parochial charities produce £5 per annum. There are National schools. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Lees Court is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]