"SHEPHERDSWELL, (or Sibertswold), a parish in the hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 6 miles N.W. of Dover, its post town. It is a station on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a light nature, though in some places a stiff clay occurs. Three Barrow Down, in this parish, is so named from three large tumuli or barrows, connected with each other by deep trenches, supposed to be of Roman origin, near the edge of Barham Downs. The living is a vicarage with that of Coldred annexed, in the diocese of Canterbury, value £255, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient edifice. There is a mixed National school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]