"SNARGATE, a parish in the liberty of Romney Marsh, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 5½ miles N.W. of New Romney, its post town, and 1½ mile from the Appledore railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is. situated on a branch of the river Rother, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Snave, in the diocese of Canterbury, value £144 and £84, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Dunstan, has a tower containing three bells. The interior contains an ancient font, piscina, &c."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]