"SNODLAND, a parish in the hundred of Larkfield, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 6 miles S.W. of Rochester, its post town, and 3 N.E. of West Mulling. It is a station on the North Kent railway. The village is situated on the river Medway. A portion of the land is in hop-grounds. There are extensive lime and cement works, also a paper manufactory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester, value £207, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with several stained windows. The parochial charities produce about £59 per annum, of which £19 goes to May's school. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents have a place of worship."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]