Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868

"ST. PETER, a parish and member of the Cinque Port liberty of Dover, though locally in the hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 2 miles S.E. of Margate, and 2½ N. of Ramsgate. It is situated on the coast near the North Foreland, and contains, besides the village of its own name, the sea-bathing places of Broadstairs and Kingsgate, besides twenty-two hamlets. The North Foreland lighthouse is in this parish, also the Ranelagh Gardens, much frequented by visitors from Margate. The value of land is considerable, the soil being suited for the growth of potatoes, artificial grapes,canary, radish, and spinach seeds, which supply the London seedsmen. The tithes have been commuted for rent-charges amounting to £1,726, of which £458 appertain to the Archbishop of Canterbury, £737 to the Dean and Chapter, and £531 to the vicar. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £560, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church of St. Peter, which was anciently a chapel-of-ease to Minster, is a Norman structure, erected in 1184, and made parochial in 1200. It has undergone frequent alterations and repairs, and in 1838 the E. window was restored. It contains three brasses of R. Calmer, the earliest bearing date 1485, also tombs of the Dewkners and others. At Broadstairs is a chapel-of-ease, erected by subscription in 1828, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £230, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Peter's. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. The parochial charities produce about £125 per annum, of which £30 belongs to Lovejoy's school. There are National schools for boys and girls, also an almshouse for the aged poor, presented to the parish by Mrs. Nuckell, in 1837.

"BEARD'S HILL, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Ringslow, and lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, 2 miles from Ramsgate."

"BROMSTON, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Ringslow, lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, near Broadstairs."

"BUDDLES, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Ringslow, and lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, 2 miles from Ramsgate."

"CALLIS COURT, (and Callis Grange) a hamlet and township in the parish of St. Peter, Isle of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, 2 miles to the N. of Ramsgate.

"DANE COURT, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Ringslow, lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, 2 miles S.E. of Margate. There is also another Dane Court in the same county, 5 miles W. of Deal."

"DUMPTON, a hamlet in the parishes of St. Lawrence and St. Peter, hundred of Ringslowe, lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, 1 mile N. of Ramsgate. Hampton House is the principal residence."

"FAIR STREET, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Ringslow, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, near Broadstairs."

"GEORGE HILL, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Ringslow, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 2 miles N. of Ramsgate."

"JOSS-STREET, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, Isle of Thanet, county Kent, 1 mile from Margate."

"KINGSGATE, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, Isle of Thanet, and lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 2 miles S.E. of Margate. It is a fishing village and watering-place, and has a coastguard station on the cliffs. It was formerly called Bartholomew's Gate, prior to Charles II. landing here in 1683. Kingsgate House is the principal residence. The late Lord Holland erected a villa here, on the model of that of Cicero at Baix, and adorned the grounds with artificial ruins. The mansion has been converted into five dwelling-houses, and the convent and mews transformed into elegant mansions. Lord Holland also erected a monument at Hac Kendown in commemoration of a battle between the English and Danes. Near Northdown are three towers called Arx Ruochim, Harley, and Whitfield; the latter, being seated on the highest spot in the island, forms a seamark to mariners."

"NASH, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, Isle of Thanet, and lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, near Margate."

"NORTH FORELAND, a headland in the parish of St. Peter, on the coast of Kent about 2 miles E. of Margate, in N. lat. 51∞ 22', and E. long. 1∞ 26'. It is supposed to be the Cantium of Ptolemy, and has an octagonal lighthouse 184 feet above sea-level, with a fixed light visible for 24 miles at sea.

"NORTHWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, near Margate."

"POOR HOLE, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Ringslow, and lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 2 miles S.E. of Margate."

"READING STREET, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 2 miles S.E. of Margate."

"ROMFIELDS, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Thanet and lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, near Margate."

"SACKETT'S HILL, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, Isle of Thanet, county Kent, 2 miles from Margate."

"SHALLOWS, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, near Margate."

"SOLE-STREET, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, Isle of Thanet and lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, near Margate."

"STONE, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, near Margate."

"UPTON, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, hundred of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, near Ramsgate."

"WEST-WOOD, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter, county Kent, 1 mile N. of Ramsgate."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]