"STANDFORD, a parish in the hundred of Stoting, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 4 miles N.W. of Hythe, its post town, and near the Westenhanger station on the South-Eastern railway. It is a small agricultural village, situated on the ancient Stane Street, which here crosses a brook, from which the village derives its name. In the vicinity are remains of the mansion of Westenhanger, in which tradition asserts that Fair Rosamond resided previously to her removal to Woodstock. The soil consists of a rich loam. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt, with the exception of its chancel, in 1846. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There are a National and infant schools. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. J. Fitzpatrick, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"GIMMINGBROOK, a hamlet in the parish of Standford, county Kent, 2 miles N.W. of Hythe."
"GUNNINGBROOK, a hamlet in the parish of Standford, hundred of Stouting, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 1 mile W. of Standford, and 2 miles N.W. of Hythe."
"WESTENHANGER AND OSTENHANGER, a manor in the parish of Standford, hundred of Stouting, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 3 miles N.W. of Hythe. This place was anciently a parish. It is a station on the South-Eastern railway. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas-a-Becket, has long since been demolished."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]