"STANSTEAD, a parish in the hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 2 miles N. of Wrotham, its post town, 6 N.E. of Sevenoaks, and 4 S. of Meopham railway station. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Fairseat. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £400, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower and two bells; it was restored in 1855. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a parochial school."
"FAIRSEAT, a hamlet in the parish of Stanstead, hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 7 miles N.E. of Sevenoaks."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]