"SUNDRIDGE, a parish in the hundred of Codsheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 4 miles N.W. of Sevenoaks, its post town, and 21 E. of Westerham. It is situated on the river Darent, under the Weald, and contains the chapelry of Idehill. It is mentioned in Domesday Book as Sondresse, and came to the Freminghams and De Lisles, or Isleys, of Sundridge Place, now a farm. On the bank of the Darent is a paper mill. The land is partly in hop-grounds. The Sevenoaks union poorhouse is in the parish. Sundridge gives title of baron to the Duke of Argyle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £615, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church contains several monuments, and three brasses bearing date from 1429. The register dates from 1562. There is also a district church at Idehill, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £132. The parochial charities produce about £67 per annum, of which £10 go to a school, and £44 are distributed amongst poor cottagers. There are two National schools for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Lord Amherst is lord of the manor."
"IDE-HILL, a chapelry in the parish of Sundridge, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 4 miles S.W. of Seven Oaks. It is situated near the river Darent. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £132, in the patronage of the Rector of Sundridge. The church, erected and endowed by Bishop Porteus, of London, in 1807, has subsequently been enlarged. There is a National school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]