"SUTTON-BY-DOVER, a parish in the hundred of Cornilo, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 4 miles S.W. of Deal, its post town, and 6½ N. of Dover. The village is situated on an eminence. The parish includes the hamlet of Little Sutton. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £107, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. There is a day school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sutton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Sutton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TR335491 (Lat/Lon: 51.193385, 1.340488), Sutton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)