"SWINGFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Folkestone, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 6 miles N. of Folkestone, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Dover. The village is on a hill near the road from Folkestone to Canterbury. The land is partly in common, of which 620 acres, in Swingfield Minnis, were enclosed under an Act in 1840. In the vicinity is a farmhouse formed out of the ruins of the preceptory of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, founded before 1190, and which at the Dissolution had a revenue of £87 3s. 3d. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £54. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains some old monuments of the Pilcher family. Bishop Robert de Swingfield was born in this parish, and died in 1316."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]