"TEMPLE EWELL, (or Ewell), a parish in the hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 3 miles N.W. of Dover, its post town. It is a station on the London and Dover railway. The parish is situated at the source of the river Dour, and was formerly a seat of the Knights Templars, from whence it obtained the name of Temple Ewell. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £70, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, and, with the village, is seated in a valley. There are charities producing about £4 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]