"THANINGTON, a parish chiefly in the hundred of Westgate, lathe of St. Augustine, but partly also within the city of Canterbury, county Kent, 1 mile S.W. of Canterbury, its post town, and 9 miles from Faversham. The village is situated on the South-Eastern branch railway, and near the river Stour. In the vicinity are the ruins of the hospital of St. James, for female lepers, founded in the reign of John by Archbishop Walter, and of which the revenue at the Dissolution was £46 6s. 3d. The parish includes Wincheap-street, a suburb of Canterbury, and is intersected by the Roman Stane Street. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £62, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, contains a brass of T. Halls, bearing date 1480."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]