"TONBRIDGE, (or Tunbridge), a parish and market town in the lowey of Tunbridge, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 15 miles S.W. of Maidstone, and 30 S.E. of London by road, or 41 by the London and South-Eastern railway, on which it is a junction station, where the branch line turns off for Tonbridge Wells and Hastings. The parish includes, besides the market town of Tonbridge, the chapelries of Hildenborough and Southborough, and the greater part of the market town and watering-place of Tonbridge Wells. ... More "
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]