"UPCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of Milton, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 5 miles N.W. of Sittingbourne, its post town, and 5½ S.E. of Chatham. The village is situated near Otterham Creek, on the river Medway, where is a small quay. In the Salterns many relics of Roman antiquities have been discovered. Nearly half of the land is in salt marsh, and part of the remainder orchards and hop-grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £243, in the patronage of All Souls' College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built in 1300. The register dates from 1632. There is a National school. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]