"WARDEN, a parish in the liberty of the Isle_of_Sheppey, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 7 miles E. from Queenborough, its post town, and the same distance from Faversham. It is situated opposite the Nore, near Warden Point, where the cliffs rise to a great altitude. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £70. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient edifice, the tower of which was restored in 1834 by D. Banks, Esq., with part of the materials of old London Bridge. J. Ward, Esq., of Sheerness, is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]