"WAREHORNE, a parish in the hundred of Ham, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 7 miles S. of Ashford, its post town, and 1 mile from Ham Street railway station. The village is situate in Romney Marsh, on the Military canal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £294, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Matthew, contains memorials of T. Jekin, and J. Coventry, the former bearing date 1438, and the latter 1681. The parochial charities produce £11 per annum, of which £8 go to a school. There are a National school for both sexes, and a chapel for the Bible Christians. A pleasure fair is held on the 2nd and 3rd of October."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]