"WEST HYTHE, a parish, partly in the hundred of Hythe, and partly in that of Worth, lathe of Sbepway, county Kent, 2½ miles W. of Hythe, its post town, and 8 E. of Folkestone. It was formerly a harbour for shipping, but the sea having receded from it, it now forms part of the cinque port, municipal and parliamentary borough of Hythe. The Grand Military canal passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage united with the vicarage of Lympne, in the diocese of Canterbury, value £34, in the patronage of the archdeacon. The church has long been in ruins."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]