"WITTERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Oxney, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 5 miles S.E. of Tenterden, and 5 N. of Rye railway station. The village is situated on a plateau surrounded by the river Rother and its branches, forming, with the adjoining parishes of Ebony and Stone, the Isle of Oxney. There are hop-gardens and orchards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £730, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are a literary institution, and a free school founded in 1820. The charities produce about £80 per annum, including the school endowment. A fair is held on the 12th May."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]