"WOOLWICH, a parish, market town, in the hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent. It is a Royal naval yard, and principal military arsenal in the kingdom. It is 2½ miles E. of Greenwich, within which borough it is included, and 8½ miles S.E. of St. Paul's, London, by land, or 9½ by water, owing to the windings of the river Thames, which is here crossed by a steam ferry to North Woolwich. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]