"WOOTTON, a parish in the hundred of Kinghamford, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 8 miles N.W. of Dover, and 10 S.E. of Canterbury, on the road from London to Dover. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. Wootton Court, the seat of John Brydges, Esq., is supposed to have been built by John de Gestlinge in the reign of John. It was once the residence of L. Digges, the mathematician, and of Sir Samuel Egerton Brydges, Bart., who died in 1837."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]