Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Wrotham

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Wrotham

Primary tabs

"WROTHAM, a parish and town in the hundred of the same name, county Kent, 10 miles N.W. of Maidstone, 8 N.E. of Sevenoaks, and 5½ from the Meopham station of the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. It is situated under the chalk hills, and includes the district chapelries of Platt, Plaxtol, and Woodlands, which last was formerly a parish of itself, besides seven hamlets The town, which is at the foot of Wrotham hill, consists principally of two streets crossing each other on the road from London to Maidstone, and in the centre is the market-place, where was a public well, now filled up. It is supposed to have been originally a British town, and was afterwards a Roman station on the military way from Oldborough to Stane Street. In 904 it was presented by Athelstane to the monastery of Christ Church, Canterbury, and has still the terrace and gateway of a palace of the archbishops, who resided here till Islip pulled it down. At the Dissolution, the manor was surrendered by Cranmer to Henry VIII. and came from the Byngs to James of Ightham. There are paper mills at Basted, and hops are extensively cultivated. The living comprises a sinecure rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £1,000, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. George, is of the 13th century, consisting of nave, N. and S. aisles, S. porch, and parvise with large chancel. In the interior are many brasses, the earliest bearing date 1470, and tombs of Burgoyne, Peckham, and Rayner. The whole edifice has been recently restored at the expense of the rector, the Rev. Charles Lane, and has a stone pulpit, carved by Seale of Walworth. The chancel also has been enriched by a large E. window of five lights, containing eleven subjects illustrative of the Apostles' Creed. On its N. and S. sides are four "Evangelist" windows with the twelve Apostles in stained glass, by Ward and Hughes of London. There are besides district churches at Platt, Plaxtol, and Woodlands, which last place has recently been formed into a district chapelry, together with a portion of the woodlands of Shoreham parish. There are National and Sunday schools, and almshouses for 8 poor persons, endowed by Miss Helen Bettenson. A fair is held on the 4th May."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Wrotham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

"BASTED, a hamlet in the parish and hand, of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, in the county of Kent, 10 miles to the W. of Maidstone."

"CLACKETT CROSS, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Wrotham, Aylesford lathe, in the county of Kent, 6 miles N.E. of Sevenoaks."

"COMP GREAT, a township in the parish of Wrotham, in the county of Kent, 3 miles S.E. of Wrotham. In the vicinity is Mereworth Wood."

"CROUCH, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford in the county of Kent, 3 miles S. of Wrotham, and 4½ N.E. of Sevenoaks. There is a place of the same name in the county of Herts, 3 miles N.E. of Luton."

"DUNKS-GREEN, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, in the county of Kent, 6 miles N.E. of Maidstone."

"HALE, a township in the parish and hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 3 miles S. of Wrotham."

"NEPICAR, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 1 mile S.E. of Wrotham, and 6 miles N.E. of Maidstone."

"PLATT, a chapelry in the parish and hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 5 miles N.E. of Sevenoaks, its post town. It is situated under the chalk hills, near the line of the London and South Eastern railway. The land is partly in hop grounds. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Canterbury, value £400, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A National school for both sexes was erected here in 1845."

"PLAXTOL, a chapelry in the parish and hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 4 miles E. of Sevenoaks, its post town, 6 N. of Tonbridge, and 5 S.W. of Wrotham. It is situated under the chalk hills, near the line of the South Eastern railway. The living is a perpetual curacy,* value £400, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is an ancient edifice."

"ROUGHWRAY, a township in the parish and hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 5 miles S.E. of Wrotham."

"WINFIELD, a township in the parish and hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 3 miles S. of Wrotham."

"WOODLANDS ST. MARY, a hamlet and ecclesiastical district in the parishes of Wrotham and Shoreham, county Kent, 3 miles N. of Wrotham, and 8 N.E. of Sevenoaks. It has recently been formed into a district chapelry for ecclesiastical purposes, and comprises a portion of the woodlands of Shoreham. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £70, in the patronage of the Rector of Wrotham. The church has been recently built at the cost of Mr. R. Vincent, of Woodlands manor. There is a National school.

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wrotham to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Wrotham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup