"YALDING, a parish in the hundred of Twyford, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 6 miles S.W. of Maidstone, and 1 mile from Yalding station on the Maidstone branch of the London and South-Eastern railway. The parish, which is 6 miles in length by 4 broad, is situated at the confluence of the Beult and Teise with the Medway, which is navigable to this place for barges, by which a considerable traffic in timber, corn, and coal is carried on. The village, formerly a market town, stands upon two branches of the Medway, and is approached by a bridge, besides which there is another in the parish called Twyford bridge. The parish, which includes the hamlet and ecclesiastical district of Collier Street, besides several intermediate places, is frequently inundated during wet seasons by the Medway and its streams. The land is partly in hop-gardens and orchards, the former occupying above 1,100 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £1,184. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is besides a district church at Collier Street, dedicated to St. Margaret. The register commences in 1558, and in the register chest are several valuable old books. The Baptists have a chapel. There are a free grammar school, founded in 1665 by William Cleave, Esq., a citizen of London; a charity school for girls and young children, founded in 1711 by Mrs. Alchom; and two National schools, one at Yalding and the other at Collier Street. The charities, including the school endowments, produce about £120 per annum. Fairs are held on Whit-Monday and 15th October for cattle and hops. W. Cooke, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]