Abstract of Population 1821
Census Statistical Returns 1822 Counties other than Yorkshire - Items of Interest in the Notes. by Alan Longbottom of Pudsey, Yorks.
Amounderness Hundred - Garstang Parish - Claughton Township
The increase of population is attributed to the linen manufacture
Amounderness Hundred - Garstang Parish - Nateby Township
The increase of population is attributed to improved agriculture.
Amounderness Hundred - Kirkham Parish - Freckleton Township
The increase of population is ascribed to a sacking manufacture.
Blackburn Hundred (Higher Divsion) - Whalley Parish - various places
The entire Parish of Whalley which is also partly in the (Lower Division) contains 84,198 inhabitants. The great increase of Population, especially in the Townships of New Accrington, Burnley, Clithero, Colne and Wiswell is ascribed to the extension of manufacture in spinning cotton thread, weaving and printing calico, and a new colliery has been opened in the Township called Ightenhill Park.
Blackburn Hundred (Lower Division) - Blackburn Parish
The Entire Parish of Blackburn contains 63,350 inhabitants. The great increase of Population in this extensive Parish is ascribed to the extension of cotton manufacture in all its branches, and to the introduction of vaccine inoculation. A colliery has been opened at Over Darwen.
Leyland Hundred - Chorley Parish
The Increase of Population in Chorley is ascribed to the establishment of new cotton factories.
Leyland Hundred - Standish Parish
The Entire Parish of Standish contains 7,616 inhabitants. The increase of Population is ascribed to the establishment of new cotton factories.
Lonsdale Hundred (North of the Sands) Upper Holker Township
The increase of Population of Upper Holker is ascribed to the prosperity of trade and the improvement of medical knowledge.
Lonsdale Hundred (North of the Sands) Hawkshead Parish
The Entire Parish of Hawkshead contains 2,014 inhabitants, of which 829 are in Hawkshead Township. The increase of Population is ascribed to the depressed state of the manufacturing districts causing the inhabitants to resort to agricultural Parishes.
Lonsdale Hundred (North of the Sands) Egton Chapelry in Ulverstone Parish.
A small decrease of population at Egton is ascribed to the disuse of a cottom mill.
Lonsdale Hundred (North of the Sands) - Satterthwaite Chapelry in Ulverstone Parish.
Slate quarries are opened at Satterthwaite.
Salford Hundred - Ashton under Lyne Parish.
The Entire Parish of Ashton contains 25,967 inhabitants. The increase of population is ascribed to the extension of the cotton manufacture.
Salford Hundred - Bolton Parish
The Entire Parish of Bolton contains 50,197 inhabitants. The great increase is attributed to the extension of the cotton manufacture. The Return of Little Bolton Township speaks of the revival of trade, and that of Tonge Township states the general prosperity of trade and manufacture, notwithstanding occasional checks during the last ten years.
Salford Hundred - Dean Parish - Horwick Township or Chapelry
The increase of the manufacture of calico printing is stated in the Return for this Township.
Salford Hundred - Eccles Parish - Barton & Clifton Townships
The increase of the bleaching trade is mentioned in the Return for Barton and new collieries opened at Clifton.
Salford Hundred - Manchester Parish - Blackley Chapelry
The New Road to Manchester and the establishment of print works and dye-houses is mentioned as a cause of increased population at Blackley.
Salford Hundred - Oldham cum Prestwick Parish
The Entire Parish contains 52,519 inhabitants. Additional factories are said to be the cause of increased Population at Oldham, Chadderton, and Crompton. The Return of Royton mentions Children Apprentices brought from London and states the Poor Laws and late Vagrant Act as injurious to property.
West Derby Hundred Huyton Parish
The Entire Parish of Huyton contains 3,046 inhabitants. The cessation of war is said to have increased the Population.
West Derby Hundred - Leigh Parish.
The Entire Parish of Leigh contains 18,372 inhabitants. Sundry manufactures are mentioned as prevalent at Pennington and new factories have been established at Tyldesley and West Leigh.
West Derby Hundred - Prescot Parish - Parr Township
The Entire Parish of Prescott contains 22,811 inhabitants, An extension of collieries at Parr has increased the Population.
West Derby Hundred - Walton on the Hill Parish.
The Entire Parish of Walton on the Hill contains 14,765 inhabitants. The County House of Correction at Kirkdale contained 520 inmates in May 1821.
West Derby Hundred - Wigan Parish
The Entire Parish of Wigan is partly in Salford Hundred and contains 36,618 inhabitants. The extension of the collieries at Haigh, Orrell and Pemberton is stated to have caused an increase of Population; new factories at Hindley and Ince have had the same effect; and both these causes at Upholland.
West Derby Hundred - Winwick Parish
The Entire Parish of Winwick contains 16,229 inhabitants. A resort of persons from neighbouring Townships is stated in the Return of Ashton in Makerfield; and an extension of the Haydock collieries, as causing an unusual increase of Population.
Borough of Lancaster
The Entire Parish of Lancaster which is partly in Amounderness and partly in South Lonsdale Hundred contains 19,272 inhabitants. A worsted manufacture has caused an increase of Population in the Borough; and the County Lunatic Asylum is established at Lancaster.
Town of Manchester.
The great enlargement of the Town of Manchester, in consequence of its manufactures, has caused the Townships of Ardwick, Chorlton Row, and Hulme to become constituent parts of the actual Town, which so taken contains 149,756 inhabitants; but for the sake of uniformity with the Abstracts of 1801 and 1811, Salford only is here entered. The Entire Parish of Manchester contains 186,942 inhabitants. The New Bailey prison at Salford contained 594 inmates in May 1821.
Borough of Wigan
A report of persons from Ireland is mentioned in the Wigan Return.