AINSWORTH, or Cockey, a chapelry in Middleton parish, Lancashire; at Bradley-Fold r. station, 2½ miles E of Bolton. Post Town, Bolton. Acres, 1,296. Real property, £7,048, of which £1,652 are in mines. Pop., 1,803. Houses, 346. Cotton manufacture is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £136. Patron, the Rector of Middleton. The church is good; and there are two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £12.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)