ALKRINGTON, a township in Prestwick-cum-Oldham parish, Lancashire; 1 mile W of Middleton Junction r. station, and 4½. N by E of Manchester. Acres, 788. Real property, £1,957. Pop., 423. Houses, 77. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the neighbouring cotton factories. Alkrington Hall is the seat of the Lever family, and is noted for Sir Aston Lever's collecting a museum at it, which was sold in London.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Middleton library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Alkrington.
The Register Office covering the Alkrington area is Oldham.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Alkrington to another place.
"ALKRINGTON, a township in the parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 1 mile to the S. of Middleton. The small river Irk flows through the township. The cotton manufacture affords the principal employment of the inhabitants. Alkrington Hall was once the seat of Sir Aston Lever, whose well-known museum was formed here."
In 1835 Alkrington was a township in the parish of Oldham.
You can see the administrative areas in which Alkrington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Alkrington and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD872046 (Lat/Lon: 53.53819, -2.194702), Alkrington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)