"ALSTON, a township and a subdistrict, in the district of Preston, Lancashire. The township is in the parish of Ribchester; and lies adjacent to Longridge railway, near Longridge fell, 2 miles N of the river Ribble, 7 miles NE of Preston. Acres, 1,989. Real property, £5,268. Pop. 1,098. Houses, 213. A chief residence is Alston Lodge. The subdistrict comprises all the parish of Ribchester and part of the parish of Preston. Acres, 11,773. Pop., 4,414. Houses, 850."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Clitheroe library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Alston.
The Register Office covering the Alston area is Preston and South Ribble
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Alston to another place.
"ALSTON, a township united with Hothersall, in the parish of Ribchester, hundred of Amounderness in the county palatine of Lancaster, 7 miles to the N.E. of Preston, and not far from Long Ridge fell. Alston Lodge is the principal residence."
In 1835 Alston was a township in the parish of Ribchester.
You can see the administrative areas in which Alston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Alston and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD606350 (Lat/Lon: 53.810215, -2.599551), Alston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)