ALTHAM, a township-chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the Henburn river, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 1 mile N of Huncoat r. station, and 5 W of Burnley. It includes the village of Sykeside; and its Post Town is Accrington. Acres, 1,406. Real property, £2,580. Pop., 410. Houses, 75. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, R. T. R. Walton, Esq. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1859.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Accrington library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Altham.
The Register Office covering the Altham area is Hyndburn and Rossendale.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Altham to another place.
"ALTHAM, a chapelry in the parish of Whalley, and in the higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the W. of Burnley. It is on the river Henburn, and not far from the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of R. T. R. Walton, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. James. There are some coal mines in the neighbourhood."
In 1835 Altham was a township in the parish of Whalley.
You can see the administrative areas in which Altham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Altham and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD766318 (Lat/Lon: 53.781732, -2.356664), Altham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)