Ashton on Ribble
"ASHTON-ON-RIBBLE, a chapelry in Preston parish, Lancashire; on the river Ribble, adjacent to the Wyre and Preston railway, 2 miles W of Preston. It consists of the townships of Lea, Ashton, Ingol, and Cottam. Post Town, Preston. Acres, 3,522; of which 175 are water. Real property, £9,883. Pop., 911. Houses, 176. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £106. The church was built in 1836. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and a free school."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Preston library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Ashton, Lea, Cottam and Ingol.
|St Andrew, Ashton on Ribble, Church of England|
|St Christopher, Lea, Church of England|
|St Margaret Church of England, Ingol|
|St Michael and All Angels, Ashton on Ribble, Church of England|
|Bray St, Ashton on Ribble, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Wellington Rd Wesleyan Methodist, Ashton on Ribble|
The Register Office covering the Ashton on Ribble area is Preston and South Ribble
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ashton on Ribble to another place.
"LEA, a township in the parish of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.W. of Preston. It is a station on the Preston and Wyre railway. There is an endowed free school with £75 per annum. The Roman Catholics have a chapel. It is joined with Ashton, Ingol, and Cottam."
"INGOL AND COTTAM, a hamlet in the parish of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 2 miles N. of Preston. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The hamlet of Cottam consists of a few scattered houses. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and a school."
"COTTAM, a hamlet in the parish of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, in the county of Lancaster, 2½ miles N.W. of Preston. It is united to the township of Lea. The Roman Catholics have a chapel and school. W. A. Cross, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"ASHTON ON RIBBLE, a township in the parish of Preston, and hundred of Amounderness in the county palatine of Lancaster, 2 miles to the W. of Preston. It is united with the township of Lea. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £106, in the patronage of the Vicar of Preston. Ashton Bank is the principal residence."
In 1835 Ashton, Lea, Cottam and Ingol was a township in the parish of Preston.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ashton on Ribble has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Ashton on Ribble and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD499308 (Lat/Lon: 53.771451, -2.760981), Ashton on Ribble which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)