"BARROWFORD, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the East Lancashire railway, 2 miles W of Colne; and has a post office under Burnley. Acres, 1,540. Real property, £7,754. Pop., 2,880. Houses, 612. The property is much subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton manufactories. The chapelry was constituted in 1843; and bears the name of Barrowford-Colne, or Colne-Barrowford. Pop., 2,796 Houses, 591. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is recent; and there are four dissenting chapels."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Nelson library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Barrowford Booth.
|Gisburn Rd Congregational, Barrowford|
|Ingham St, Barrowford, Congregational|
|Barrowford Higherford Wesleyan Methodist Lancashire|
|Blacko Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist/Independent Methodist Lancashire|
|Scotland Rd Wesleyan Methodist, Newbridge|
|Zion Primitive Methodist, Barrowford|
|St Peter and St Paul Roman Catholic, Barrowford|
The Register Office covering the Barrowford area is Burnley and Pendle.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barrowford to another place.
"BARROWFORD COLNE, (or Barrowford Booth), a township in the parish of Whalley, and hundred of Blackburn, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 2 miles to the W. of Colne, its post town. The East Lancashire railway passes through the township, and the Leeds canal near it. Most of the workpeople are employed in the cotton factories. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, of the value of £150, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees. The Wesleyans have a chapel here.
In 1835 Barrowford Booth was a township in the parish of Whalley.
You can see the administrative areas in which Barrowford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Barrowford and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD853407 (Lat/Lon: 53.861932, -2.22523), Barrowford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)