The New Connexion Methodists date their existence as a distinct individual body from 1797, when a secession from the Wesleyans took place, under the leadership of the Rev. Alex. Kilham. The first meeting-house of the sect in Barrow was a room in Hindpool, where some 35 members were wont to assemble. Their numbers steadily increased, and in 1873 the Conference appointed the Rev. R. S. Chambers as their minister. On a plot of ground in Abbey Road, given by the Duke of Devonshire, they have erected a church and schools at a cost of over £4,000. The Gothic style has been adopted. Above the principal entrance is a large window filled with tracery and tinted glass. On one side of the west end is a small spire, and on the other a turret rising some 70 feet from the ground. The interior is beautifully fitted up, and presents a remarkably light and elegant appearance. The building is of red sandstone, with York stone dressings. The architect was W. Hill, F.R.S. and B.A., of Leeds, under whose superintendence the work was carried out. The entire accommodation is about 900. Adjoining is a school for 400 children, but it is not used for secular instruction. The minister now in charge is the Rev. E. J. Hope.
from Mannex's directory of Furness & Cartmel, 1882