.-Dissent in its various forms soon showed vitality in this infant town. A population so heterogeneous, and drawn from every quarter of the three kingdoms, was certain to contain persons professing every phase of Nonconformity. As rapidly as grew the town, so rapidly did the disciples of Wesley increase, and they now form a very numerous and influential body in the town. They have a large number of places of worship, some of them both spacious and handsome, and containing a vast amount of sitting accommodation. The first chapel erected by them was the Congregational, in Hindpool Road, built in 1857. This soon proved too small for their increasing numbers, and was superseded in 1863 by the present commodious structure, raised at a cost of £2,000. It is built of red brick, with stone dressings, and is of the Gothic style of architecture, and will seat about 550 persons. Below the chapel are a school-room and four vestries. The erection of the first chapel was mainly due to the efforts of the Rev. J. Brown, of Ulverston. Previous to this time Barrow had only been a preaching station of the Lancashire Congregational Union. In 1873 it was found necessary, in consequence of the crowded state of the present building, to form the nucleus of another church. Services were held in the Town Hall; a plot of land was secured at the junction of Ainslie Street and Abbey Road, and the erection of schools forthwith commenced. A second Congregational Church was formed, and the services are now held in the school-room until the erection of the church on the adjacent plot of ground. The present minister is the Rev. M. Braithwaite, who succeeded the Rev. Mr. Fothergill in 1877.
from Mannex's directory of Furness & Cartmel, 1882