BISPHAM, a township and a parish in Fylde district, Lancashire. The township bears the name of Bispham-with-Norbreck; lies on the coast, and on the Blackpool railway, 1½ mile N of Blackpool; and has a post office of Bispham under Preston, and a r. station. Acres, 2,624; of which 985 are water. Real property, £3,307. Pop., 437. Houses, 88. The parish includes also the township of Layton-with-Warbreck: which contains the town of Blackpool and the village of Southshore. Acres, 5,865; of which 1,825 are water. Real property, £20,553. Pop., 4,344. Houses, 849. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value £235.* Patron, the Rev.Hesketh. The church is modern The chapelries of Blackpool and Southshore are separate benefices. There are an Independent chapel and a free school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Blackpool library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Bispham.
|Bethel Chapel, Bispham, Independent|
|Cavendish Road, Bispham, Congregational|
|Beaufort Ave, Bispham, Methodist|
|St Bernadette, Bispham, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Bispham area is Blackpool & Fylde.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bispham to another place.
"BISPHAM, a parish in the hundred of Amounderness, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 18 miles to the N.W. of Preston, its post town. It is situated on the coast of the Irish Sea, and contains the townships of Bispham-with-Norbreek and Layton-with-Warbrick, and the chapelries of Blackpool and Southshore. The Preston and Wyre branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway passes near it, with which Blackpool is connected by a short line from Poulton Junction. A now line direct to Lytham has also lately been completed, and a handsome pier is in course of construction. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, of the value of £235, in the patronage of the Rev. C. Hesketh. The church is of modern erection. There is a free school, founded in 1659 by Richard Higginson, with an income from endowment of £70 per annum."
"NORBRECK, a township in the parish of Bispham, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Poulton-le-Fylde. It is joined with Bispham to form a township."
In 1835 the parish of Bispham contained the townships of Bispham with Norbreck and Layton with Warbreck.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bispham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD314405 (Lat/Lon: 53.855749, -3.044446), Bispham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)