Marton has now been swallowed up by Blackpool, which grew into a large town by the end of the 19th century.
"MARTON, a township-chapelry in Poulton-le-Fylde parish, Lancashire; on the coast, from 1 mile to 5 miles SE of Blackpool r. station. It consists of the hamlets of Great Marton and Little Marton; and its Post town is Blackpool, under Preston. Acres, 5,452; of which 805 are water. Real property of Great M., £4,400. Pop., 1,258. Houses, 251. Real property of Little M., £3,612. Pop., 433. Houses, 68. The manor belongs to Col. J. T. Clifton. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £125.* Patron, the Vicar of Poulton. The church was built in 1804; was enlarged, and had a tower added, about 1863; and is a plain brick structure. There are an endowed school with £100 a year, and some small charities."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Blackpool library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Marton.
|St Mary, Squire's Gate, Church of England|
|St Nicholas, Marton Moss, Church of England|
|St Paul, Marton, Church of England|
|Wordsworth Ave, Marton, Congregational|
The Register Office covering the Marton area is Blackpool & Fylde.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marton to another place.
"GREAT and LITTLE MARTON, townships in the parish of Poulton-le-Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 5 miles S.E. of the Blackpool railway station, its post town, and 5 N.W. of Kirkham. It is situated on the coast of the Irish Sea, and near Marton-Mere. The village, which is considerable, is wholly agricultural. The soil is of various character, but generally fertile. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £120. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, is a neat brick structure, erected in 1804. It has recently been enlarged, and a new tower added. There are numerous small charities. A free school for both sexes was founded in 1717 by James Baines, who endowed it with land, producing £100 a-year. It is now united with the National school, in which building a Sunday-school is also held. John Talbot Clifton is lord of the manor, and sole landowner of Little Marton.
You can see the administrative areas in which Marton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Marton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD330333 (Lat/Lon: 53.791316, -3.018387), Marton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)