BLACKROD, a village and a township-chapelry in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire. The village stands on elevated ground near the river Douglas and the Bolton and Preston railway, 4½ miles SSE of Chorley: and it has a joint station with Horwich on the railway, and a post office of its own under Chorley. Its site is supposed to have been occupied by the Roman station Coccium, on Watling-street; and many Roman relics have been found. The chapelry comprises 2,367 acres. Real property, £14,264; of which 7,711 are in mines. Pop., 2,911. Houses, 546. The property is not much divided. The inhabitants are chiefly cotton-spinners and colliers. A fire in a colliery here was extinguished by drawing into it the river Douglas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £400.* Patron, the Vicar of Bolton. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. A free grammar school has £140 a year, besides sums for three exhibitions at Pembroke college, Cambridge; and other charities have £104.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Bolton library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Blackrod.
|Manchester Rd Cemetery, Blackrod|
|Church Street, Blackrod, Methodist New Connexion|
|Church Street, Blackrod, Wesleyan Methodist|
|New St, Blackrod, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Whitehall Lane (formerly Shepherd's Lane), Blackrod, Wesleyan Methodist|
|St Andrew, Blackrod, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Blackrod area is Wigan and leigh.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Blackrod to another place.
"BLACKROD, a chapelry in the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, and hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 6 miles to the W. of Bolton. Chorley is its post town. It is a station on the western division of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, and a branch of the Lancaster canal passes through the chapelry. The inhabitants are mostly engaged in the cotton manufacture, the print-works, and the coal-mines. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, of the value of £300, in the patronage of the Vicar of Bolton. The church is dedicated to St. Catherine. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. There are large National and Sunday schools, and a free grammar school, with an income from endowment of £140 a year, besides an exhibition at Pembroke College, Cambridge, of the value of £80 for four years. The charities produce about £200 per annum. The Roman road Watling Street passes through this place, which is conjectured by some to have been a Roman station. A fire which broke out in a coal-mine here was extinguished by turning the river Douglas into it. A number of silver vessels, bearing the impression of a rose and crown, were found in 1800, in a moat surrounding an old mansion in this township."
In 1835 Blackrod was a township in the parish of Bolton.
You can see the administrative areas in which Blackrod has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A description of Blackrod in the 19th century.
View maps of Blackrod and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD614107 (Lat/Lon: 53.591112, -2.585215), Blackrod which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)