"BOOTLE-CUM-LINACRE, a township and three chapelries in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Mersey, the Liverpool and Southport railway, and the L. and Leeds canal, 3¼ miles N by W of Liverpool; was, till lately, a much-frequented watering-place, but is now occupied, on all its river front, by Liverpool docks; and has a post office under Liverpool, and four railway stations. Acres, 1,781; of which 610 are water. Real property in 1860, £25,158. Pop. in 1861, 6,414. Houses, 1,048. Pop. in 1869, about 15,200. The chapelries are St. Mary, St. John, and Christchurch; the two former p. curacies, the latter a vicarage, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. M., £300; of C., £300.* Patron of St. M., W. S. Millar, Esq.; of St. J. and C., Trustees. St. M. 's church was built in 1826; St. J. 's in 1864, at a cost of £5,000; church, in 1866, at a cost of £8,800; and all are handsome. A Wesleyan chapel, in French first-pointed style, was built in 1864. A Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1868. There are also United Presbyterian, Baptist, and Welsh Methodist chapels, a national school, and a Christian Association's reading and lecture rooms."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)