Trinity, Bootle, Presbyterian
It was founded in 1887. It closed before 1990.
The church was constituted in 1855, as the United Presbyterian Church, in response to the growing number of Scots in Bootle and their dissatisfaction with existing provision of religious worship through the Episcopalian church. Originally on Derby Road, (next to the Mersey Hotel), the church moved to new premises in 1885 on the corner of Hawthorne Road and Trinity Road, becoming known as Trinity Presbyterian Church. In 1941 it united with St Paul's Presbyterian church, Peel Road after that church was bombed, and the records of the two churches were thereafter combined. Demolished in the 1980s.
The Presbyterian church was influenced by Calvinism which rejected bishops and believed that the church should be governed by a hierarchy of general assembly, synod, presbytery and kirk sessions attended by ministers and elders of equal rank. Presbyterianism flourished in the 17th and early 18th centuries but in the later 18th century many Presbyterian churches adopted Unitarianism.
In 1972 the Presbyterian Church of England merged with the Congregational Church to form the United Reformed Church.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)