BREIGHTMET, a township in Bolton-le-Moors parish Lancashire; 2½ miles E of Bolton. Acres, 970. Real property, £6,627; of which £1,504 are in mines. Pop., 1,562. Houses, 295. Cotton manufacture is carried on; and there is a church of 1855, a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with 26 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Bolton library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Breightmet.
|Bury Road, Breightmet, Congregational|
|Red Lane United Reformed, Breightmet|
|St Osmund, Breightmet, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Breightmet area is Bolton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Breightmet to another place.
"BREIGHTMET, a township in the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 2 miles to the E. of Bolton. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the cotton manufacture, and the coal-works of the neighbourhood. A free school was founded at Roscow Fold in 1750, by William Hulton, and subsequently endowed by other persons with a revenue of £20 per annum."
In 1835 Breightmet was a township in the parish of Bolton.
You can see the administrative areas in which Breightmet has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A description of Breightmet in the 19th century.
View maps of Breightmet and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD744097 (Lat/Lon: 53.583077, -2.38753), Breightmet which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)