This is the Broughton which is just north of Preston. There are other places also called Broughton in Lancashire.
BROUGHTON, a township-chapelry and a subdistrict, in Preston district, Lancashire. The chapelry is in Preston parish, adjacent to the Preston and Lancaster railway, 3 miles N by W of Preston; and has a station on the railway, jointly with Barton, a post office under Preston, and a fair on 1 Aug. Acres, 2,346. Real property, £6,862. Pop., 709. Houses, 126. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £106.* Patron, A. Sedgwick, Esq. The church is good; and there are a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £110 a year, and charities £15. The subdistrict contains eight townships. Pop., 7,850.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Preston library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Broughton.
The Register Office covering the Broughton area is Preston and South Ribble
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Broughton (Preston) to another place.
"BROUGHTON, a chapelry in the parish of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the N. of Preston. It is a station on the Lancaster and Preston Junction railway. Dorton is a hamlet of this parish. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £106, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees. Here is an endowed free school with a revenue of £130 per annum, the produce of several ancient bequests, and some minor charities worth about £14 a year."
"DORTON, a hamlet in the chapelry of Broughton, parish of Preston, in the county of Lancaster, 3 miles N. of Preston."
In 1835 Broughton was a township in the parish of Preston.
You can see the administrative areas in which Broughton (Preston) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Broughton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD534337 (Lat/Lon: 53.797684, -2.708929), Broughton (Preston) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)