There are other places also called Broughton in Lancashire.
BROUGHTON (East), or Broughton-Field, a township-chapelry in Cartmel parish, Lancashire; 4 miles N of Cartmel r. station, and 7 NE of Ulverstone. Post Town, Cartmel, under Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 2,830. Real property, £4,332. Pop., 534. Houses, 107. The property is subdivided. Broughton Grove, Broughton Hall, and Broughton Lodge are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £67.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is good.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Cumbria Record Office & Local Studies Library, Barrow and at Kendal library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Broughton East.
|St Paul Church of England, Grange over Sands|
|St Peter Church of England, Field Broughton|
|The Fell Church, Grange over Sands, Church of England|
|Kents Bank Rd Congregational, Grange over Sands|
|Grange Bank Rd Cemetery, Grange over Sands|
|St Charles Roman Catholic, Grange over Sands|
The Register Office covering the Broughton East area is Ulverston.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Broughton East to another place.
"BROUGHTON EAST , (or Field Broughton) a chapelry in the parish of Cartmel, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 2 miles to the N. of Cartmel. The Furness branch of the Lancaster and Carlisle railway passes through the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £67, in the gift of the Earl of Burlington. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The chief residences are Broughton Grove, Broughton Hall, and Broughton Lodge.
"HAMPSFIELD, a hamlet in the parish of Cartmel, hundred of Lonsdale, county Lancaster, 2 miles N.E. of Cartmel, and 13 N. of Lancaster. It is situated under Hampsfield Fell, on Morecombe Bay."
In 1835 Broughton East was a township in the parish of Cartmel.
You can see the administrative areas in which Broughton East has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Broughton East and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD401783 (Lat/Lon: 54.197306, -2.920062), Broughton East which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)