CATON, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Lune and the Midland railway, 4¼ miles NE of Lancaster; is in Lancaster parish; includes Littledale hamlet; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lancaster. Acres, 8,373. Real property, £6,683. Pop., 1,160. Houses, 223. The property is much subdivided. A rising ground commands a noble view, much praised by the poet Gray, of the valley of the Lune, backed by Ingleborough mountain. Coal and slate are found; and the cotton manufacture is carried on. The chapelry comprises all the township, except Littledale hamlet. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1864. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £20. The subdistrict contains also Quernmoor township and Claughton parish. Pop., 1,817. Houses, 346.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Lancaster library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Caton.
|Artlebeck Rd Baptist, Caton|
|Our Lady Immaculate, Caton, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Caton area is Lancaster.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Caton to another place.
"CATON, a township joined with Littledale, in the parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale South of--the Sands, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 5 miles to the E. of Lancaster, its post town. It is a station on the Skipton and Lancaster branch of the Midland railway. The township is situated in a picturesque district on the S. side of-the river Lune, and contains coal and slate. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the flax-mills and cotton factories. Caton is the seat of a Poor-law Union, The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £100, in the gift of the Vicar of Lancaster. There are charitable endowments, partly for education, worth about £20 a year. A Roman way is supposed to have passed near this place, various Roman remains having been found in the neighbourhood."
"LITTLEDALE, a township and chapelry in the parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county palatine of Lancaster, 5 miles N.E. of Lancaster, its post town. It is joined to the township of Caton, and lies near the river Lune, of which it commands a view, celebrated by the poet Gray. Coal and slate are found. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the neighbouring cotton and flax mills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £48, in the gift of the vicar of the parish. The church is a small stone edifice dedicated to St. Anne, built in the last century. The Dissenters have a place of worship here, and there is a parochial school."
In 1835 Caton was a township in the parish of Lancaster.
You can see the administrative areas in which Caton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD562623 (Lat/Lon: 54.055132, -2.671201), Caton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)