CATTERALL, a township in Garstang parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, adjacent to the Lancaster canal, and to the Lancaster and Preston railway, 1½ mile S by W of Garstang. It has a post office under Garstang. Acres, 1,733. Real property,. £3,851. Pop., 867. Houses, 168. Catterall-House is the seat of A. Simpson, Esq. There are two large cotton mills, Caldervale church, and a Wesleyan chapel.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Catterall.
The Register Office covering the Catterall area is Lancaster.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Catterall to another place.
"CATTERALL, a township in the parish of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 2 miles to the S. of Garstang. It is situated on the banks of the river Wyre, where the West Calder joins it, not far from the Lancaster and Preston Junction railway. The Lancaster canal passes near this place. Here are extensive print-works, in which many of the workpeople are employed. These works were among the earliest established in Lancashire. Catteral Hall is the principal residence."
In 1835 Catterall was a township in the parish of Garstang.
You can see the administrative areas in which Catterall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Catterall and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD489422 (Lat/Lon: 53.87341, -2.778179), Catterall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society - Fylde Branch
- Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society - Preston Branch
- Lancashire Parish Register Society