CHARNOCK-RICHARD, a township-chapelry in Standish parish, Lancashire; adjacent to the Wigan and Preston railway, near Coppull station, 3 miles SW by W of Chorley. Post Town, Coppull, under Chorley. Acres, 1,948. Real, property, £6,253; of which £2,700 are in mines. Pop., 899. Houses, 161. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £141.* Patron, James Darlington, Esq. The church was built in 1861; is in the perpendicular English style; and consists of nave and chancel, with tower and vestry.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Chorley library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Charnock Richard.
The Register Office covering the Charnock Richard area is Chorley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Charnock Richard to another place.
"CHARNOCK RICHARD, a township and chapelry in the parish of Standish, hundred of Leyland, in the county of Lancaster, 1 mile from Euxton, and 2 from Chorley. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, and in the patronage of James Darlington, Esq. The church has recently been erected. There are several collieries. Park Hall, occupied by R. E. Allison, Esq., is a fine building."
In 1835 Charnock Richard was a township in the parish of Standish.
You can see the administrative areas in which Charnock Richard has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Charnock Richard and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD551164 (Lat/Lon: 53.641961, -2.680589), Charnock Richard which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)