CHATBURN, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the verge of the county, on the river Ribble, at the terminus of the Blackburn and Clitheroe railway, 2½ miles NE of Clitheroe. Acres, 720. Pop., 521. Houses, 111. The chapelry includes also the township of Worston; and its post town is Clitheroe, under Blackburn. Acres, 1,580. Rated property, £2,425. Pop., 605. Houses, 132. The property is divided among a few. Cotton manufacture and lime-burning are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £165. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church was struck by lightning in 1854; and the steeple of it had to be taken down and rebuilt.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)