"CHORLTON-UPON-MEDLOCK, a township, five chapelries, and a sub-district in Chorlton district, Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies within Manchester borough, and includes the south-eastern part of Manchester city. Acres, 700. Real property, £178,750. Pop., in 1841, 28,336; in 1861, 44,795. Houses, 8,584. The chapelries are All Saints, St. Luke, St. Saviour, St. Stephen, and St. Paul, and all are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of All Saints, £488; of St. Luke, £300;* of St. Saviour, £543;* of St. Stephen, £356;* of St. Paul, £248.* Patrons of All Saints, the Representatives of the Rev. Dr. Burton; of St. Luke, the Repr. of R. Gardner, Esq.; of St. Saviour, the Rev. E. Birch; of St. Stephen and St. Paul, Trustees. All Saints church was built in 1820, and has a tower and dome. St. Luke's was built in 1865, and is in the decorated English style. St. Paul's was built in 1862, and is in the later English style. An Armenian church, the earliest in England, was founded in Sept., 1869. A free library was built in 1866, at a cost of £4,000; and had 6,000 volumes at its opening. A medical hospital was built in 1865. Land for a public park was purchased in 1868. The sub-d. is contaminate with the township."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)