Chorlton on Medlock
"CHORLTON-UPON-MEDLOCK, a township, five chapelries, and a sub-district in Chorlton district, Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies within Manchester borough, and includes the south-eastern part of Manchester city. Acres, 700. Real property, £178,750. Pop., in 1841, 28,336; in 1861, 44,795. Houses, 8,584. The chapelries are All Saints, St. Luke, St. Saviour, St. Stephen, and St. Paul, and all are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of All Saints, £488; of St. Luke, £300;* of St. Saviour, £543;* of St. Stephen, £356;* of St. Paul, £248.* Patrons of All Saints, the Representatives of the Rev. Dr. Burton; of St. Luke, the Repr. of R. Gardner, Esq.; of St. Saviour, the Rev. E. Birch; of St. Stephen and St. Paul, Trustees. All Saints church was built in 1820, and has a tower and dome. St. Luke's was built in 1865, and is in the decorated English style. St. Paul's was built in 1862, and is in the later English style. An Armenian church, the earliest in England, was founded in Sept., 1869. A free library was built in 1866, at a cost of £4,000; and had 6,000 volumes at its opening. A medical hospital was built in 1865. Land for a public park was purchased in 1868. The sub-d. is contaminate with the township."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Manchester central library.
|All Saints, Chorlton on Medlock, Church of England|
|St Luke, Chorlton on Medlock, Church of England|
|St Saviour, Chorlton on Medlock, Church of England|
|Chorlton Row, Chorlton on Medlock, Cemetery|
|Upper Brook St Unitarian, Chorlton on Medlock|
Details about the census records, and indexes for Chorlton on Medlock.
The Register Office covering the Chorlton on Medlock area is Manchester.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chorlton on Medlock to another place.
"CHORLTON-ON-MEDLOCK, a township in the parish and borough of Manchester, in the county of Lancaster. See Manchester."
In 1835 Chorlton on Medlock was a township in the parish of Manchester.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chorlton on Medlock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A description of Chorlton on Medlock in the 19th century.
View maps of Chorlton on Medlock and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ851967 (Lat/Lon: 53.466635, -2.225225), Chorlton on Medlock which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)