CLAYTON-LE-WOODS, a township in Leyland parish, Lancashire; on the Wigan and Preston railway, 3¾ miles NNW of Chorley. It contains Clayton-Green, with post office under Chorley. Acres, 1,450. Real property, £3,544. Pop., 705. Houses, 144.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Chorley library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Clayton le Woods.
The Register Office covering the Clayton le Woods area is Chorley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clayton-le-Woods to another place.
"CLAYTON-LE-WOODS, a township in the parish and hundred of Leyland, in the county of Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Chorley, and 5 S.E. of Preston. It is situated on a small stream called the Lostock. Most of the inhabitants are engaged in the cotton-mills. At Clayton Green, 1 mile distant, is a handsome Roman Catholic; chapel. Clayton Hall, formerly the seat of the De Claytons, is an old mansion in the Elizabethan style; it is now a farmhouse."
In 1835 Clayton le Woods was a township in the parish of Leyland.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clayton-le-Woods has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Clayton-le-Woods and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD567230 (Lat/Lon: 53.701472, -2.657635), Clayton-le-Woods which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)