CLIFTON, a township in Eccles parish, Lancashire; on the Bury and Bolton canal, and on the Manchester and Bolton railway, at the junction of the East Lancashire railway, 4½ miles NW of Manchester. It has a station on the railway, called the Clifton Junction. Acres, 820. Real property, £10,516, of which £6,623 are in mines. Pop., 2,140. Houses, 365. Coal is worked. Clifton House is the seat of J. Fletcher, Esq.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Clifton.
The Register Office covering the Clifton area is Salford.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clifton to another place.
"CLIFTON, a township in the parish of Eccles, in the hundred of Salford, in the county of Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Bolton, and 6 N.W. of Manchester. It is a railway station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire line. The trustees of the late J. F. Fletcher, Esq., are lords of the manor. The district is hilly and contains several collieries and iron-mines."
In 1835 Clifton was a township in the parish of Eccles.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clifton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Clifton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD779032 (Lat/Lon: 53.525403, -2.335013), Clifton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)