CLIFTON-WITH-SALWICK, a township in Kirkham parish, Lancashire; at the mouth of the river Ribble, 3 miles ESE of Kirkham. Acres, 3, 776; of which 365 are water. Real property, £5,658. Pop., 447. Houses, 76. A school has £8 from endowment; and other charities £25.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Kirkham library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Clifton with Salwick.
The Register Office covering the Clifton with Salwick area is Blackpool & Fylde.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clifton-with-Salwick to another place.
"LUND, a chapelry in the parish of Kirkham, county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles S.E. of the town of Kirkham. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £382, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The chapel has been enlarged."
"SALWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Kirkham, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.W. of Preston. It has a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, and is in conjunction with Clifton to form a township."
"CLIFTON-WITH-SALWICK, a township in the parish of Kirkham, in the hundred of Amounderness, in the county of Lancaster, 3 miles E. of Kirkham, and 5½ W. of Preston. It is situated on the river Ribble. The charities amount to £33 per annum. Colonel J. Clifton is lord of the manor."
In 1835 Clifton with Salwick was a township in the parish of Kirkham.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clifton-with-Salwick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Clifton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD469314 (Lat/Lon: 53.776655, -2.806836), Clifton-with-Salwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)