COCKERSAND ABBEY, an extra-parochial tract in the district and county of Lancaster; at the mouth of the rivulet Cocker, 6¾ miles SSW of Lancaster. A Pre-monstratensian abbey, on the site of a previous hermitage and hospital, was founded here, in 1190, by Theobald, brother of Archbishop Hubert; was restored, for a short time, after the dissolution; and is now represented by its octagonal chapter-house, and part of the other walls. It belongs to the Daltons of Thurnham; and is sometimes called Thurnham-Abbey.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Lancaster library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for CockersandAbbey.
The Register Office covering the Cockersand Abbey area is Lancaster.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cockersand Abbey to another place.
"ABBEY FARM, an extra-parochial place, in the township of Thurnham, and hundred of Lonsdale, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the S.W. of Lancaster. It was the site of Cockerham abbey."
"COCKERSAND ABBEY, an extra-parochial place in the county of Lancaster, 6 miles S.W. of Lancaster. It was founded in 1190, and is in ruins, except the chapter house."
In 1835 Cockersand Abbey was a township in the parish of Cockerham.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cockersand Abbey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Cockersand Abbey and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD431543 (Lat/Lon: 53.98153, -2.869411), Cockersand Abbey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)